Friday, May 29, 2009

Intro

In early February of 2008, my very first iPod arrived; a black Classic 160 gigabytes (GB). I had been waiting for this moment for years and had already been preparing my iTunes account with music. Little did I know that it would take me over 6 months to put all of my CD’s onto iTunes and my iPod. I never really finished, because I kept accumulating music through purchased CD’s and online purchasing. I also borrowed a few CD’s here and there from friends. As of today, May 29, 2009, I have exactly 18,600 songs, 4 videos, and 8 Podcasts which translates into 84.7 GB. Now, of those 84.7 GB, 3.97 GB is the Bible, 1.18 GB is The Chronicles of Narnia books, and 258.6 megabytes (MB) is Oops! I Forgot My Wife (a hilarious collection of stories that remind us husbands not to forget about our wives). That leaves just over 79 GB of music. I love music and as you will see, I like many genres. Please do not judge me on my music taste, I simply love good music. I neither believe that music makes us do things we normally wouldn’t do, nor does it control our thoughts.

This is my blog: A Journey Through My iPod. I will proceed to educate you on new sounds, remind you of old favorites you may have forgotten, and introduce you to a diverse, wide-ranging collection of music. I will also keep you updated on what I have added to my collection whenever that occurs (which is quite regular).

I thought about how to lay this whole blog out, because it will be end up being fairly long. Back in October of 2008, my father-in-law and I were talking about iPods. He has wanted one for sometime and he still has not taken the next step of actually purchasing one. Anyway, he asked me how much music I had on mine at the time and I told him. I’m sure it was somewhere about 10,000 songs at the time. He continued by asking, “When are you going to listen to all that music?” Therein, my friends, lies the challenge that I embarked on almost 8 months ago. I began listening to every single song on my iPod sorting by artist and beginning with “A”. I am currently in the “P’s”. I do go back when I add music from an artist who begins with a letter I have already passed; for example, I am currently listening to Fleetwood Mac Rumors, which is no where near the “P‘s“.

Now, I could just compose one long entry chronicling my listening excursion from “A” to “P”, but that would just be a long read for anyone, so for you, I will start all over again at “A” and blog about artists each day, what I think of them, and maybe some brief history on the lesser-known artists. I will be skipping soundtracks and some compilations and save those for the end because when sorting by artist, these albums most times have multiple artists/composers. I will be picking apart artist by artist lesser-known samplers and compilations. I might also add that I will note when I have the entire album verses just a handful of songs. Enough intro, let’s embark together on this melodic expedition.

No comments:

Post a Comment